Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Some People Will Judge . . . But Thankfully, Not All!

Boop82 made a comment on my last post about people judging.  Sadly, I have found this is sometimes true.  It even happened with some mutual friends who regularly witnessed hubby's poor treatment and aggression towards me, but still took his side when push came to shove . . . even though they had promised they wouldn't take sides.  They had known him longer, so I guess that made a difference to them.  Go figure.  In the long run, although their coldness and rejection really hurt at first, I decided I didn't need people like that in my life anyway.  Why hang onto friends who really aren't friends?  As much as possible, I have opted to surround myself and stay in touch with people who truly still care about me.  I am not up to being anyone's emotional punching bag any longer.

Something pretty amazing happened last night when I was out to dinner with friends.  I ran into hubby's elderly aunt and uncle, who I have always loved dearly.  The first thing they both did was give me a great big hug and "I love you's," and asked me when I was going to come see them.  I almost cried right there.  They also made the statement to me that "You did what you had to do."  They could not have given me a more precious gift.  I will be paying them a visit soon, and I know they will not heap guilt on me.  To date, this is the third time that one or more of his family members have actively sought to spend time with me since the break-up.  I know that they "get it," and still want to stay in touch.   To me, that is absolutely priceless.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes family members recognize the good and bad in all of us -- whether related by blood or acquaintance.....

    ReplyDelete