Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Regaining Pieces of My Soul

I am the child of 2 packrats, more popularly known in this day and age as hoarders.  Because of this, I constantly fight having too much "stuff," as I do not want to continue their legacy.  This is also why it took me so long to carve out a niche for myself in my childhood home, as it was FULL to the brim of everything imaginable.  After hauling out countless bags and boxes of what should have been considered trash long ago, the upstairs of the old family homestead is still not properly cleared out.  Thus, for now I have "settled" for 2 rooms and a (finally working!) bathroom.  The rest will be an ongoing process, at least for awhile! 

I just recently figured out that I have room for 2 of my bookcases, and at least some of my crafting items.  I am now working on a spot for my numerous rubber art stamps, etc., and was actually able to go to the storage unit today to retrieve the ones I wanted the most.  I can't believe how much happier I feel!  Being creative has always made me feel better.  NOT being able to exercise that part of me has just added to my sadness of late.  So . . . I am clearing, tossing, and making room for the things that are most important to me right now. 

Next, I will be working on the area where I want to put my bookcases, as almost all my books are in storage as well.  Did I mention that I also love to read?  I have weeded out and gotten rid of several boxes of books, but I still have an extensive library that I have missed.  Time to regain some of it, and also weed out further, because after all . . . I do NOT want to fill up the old house with "stuff" like my parents did!

Maybe it's silly, but getting some of my things back in place makes me feel as if I am regaining my soul, or at least starting to get back the part of me that has been so devastated for so long.  I can hardly wait to get these things in place! :-)

Cheers,

Lilly 

2 comments:

  1. Lilly,
    I have a huge collection of rubber stamps and would not be me if I didn't have all my craft stuff to play with. It really is the best therapy ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diabetes Wife,

    Diabetic/crazy husbands, genealogy, and rubber stamps . . . we have much in common! And yes, crafting/creativity IS the best therapy ever! :-) I have been away from it for much too long.

    ReplyDelete