Thursday, May 9, 2013

Missing My Gardens . . . But Still Finding Solace

I am in the final stages of getting the rest of my things out of my former house.  Some "things" I came back home with in the last few weeks are some daffodil bulbs, some peonies, irises, and a small sprout from a beautiful lilac bush that is now taller than I am.  I planted all these things during our marriage, and I hate leaving the majority of them there, but . . . I don't want to lay waste to the gardens I am leaving behind, although I know they are growing up in weeds.  Besides, my gardens are (were) so extensive that it would be more work than I want to think about right now to move everything.  So, I am taking small pieces of my most-loved flowers to start anew.  At the same time, I am finding solace in cleaning out my mother's old long-neglected flower beds, and adding my things in with hers.  I almost feel like Mary in the Secret Garden every time I discover something new making its way out of the soil. 

Now . . . if I could just find someone else besides me to mow the lawn.  That was at least one thing hubby did do!  I guess I miss that, too.  :-)


6 comments:

  1. Spring is terrific!
    Losing stuff you love is awful.
    Making the best of a bad situation.... priceless!
    wishing you the best Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lilly, I'm starting over too! Kicked my DH out a year ago. A month ago I moved 800 miles to be closer to my mom. I sleep so much better now. Love, S-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again, Sorry if "kicked" came out too strong. I just couldn't take it anymore. In the four years we were married he ruined the life I had worked so hard to build. When he would come home my boys would go to their rooms. One dog would hide behind the sofa and the other one would go in her crate. Dinner was always on edge that my 11year old would do something to upset him. Once dinner was done he would order them to get ready for bed. He made it where I couldn't even spend time with my boys.
    His children treated me and my kids poorly too. They acted like I was using their dad's money that should be going to them...they are all grown and the money he did spend on them (which was quite a bit) always came from me. He was so in debt he had no money.
    I did try. I failed. I couldn't beat the disease he wouldn't deal with.
    It is funny how his kids no longer meet him (only him) for for the nice weekly lunches. Once I stopped footing the bill they just couldn't find the time. It's been a year and I am still upset by all that happened. And I didn't even give a major organ! I'm still trying to figure out how much was the disease and how much was a self-serving man. S-

    ReplyDelete
  4. S,

    I think maybe I'm hearing from you again after a long hiatus? GOOD FOR YOU for taking some steps that you needed to take. It has been a bit over a year since I moved out, and sometimes it is still hard. There are days I still feel guilty, which you can probably identify with. And like you, I will always wonder what was the disease and what was just him. I have had to decide that reasons for his behavior can't matter to me anymore. I just know I couldn't live with it, whatever the cause.

    No one should have to live with what you or I did. I am absolutely sure you tried . . . I know I did . . . for 13 very long years.


    Love,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lilly, I don't know any of the "sister wives" that could say they gave as much as you. DW was a grounding force in uniting us. She let us know the odds of our marriages working. Three of the four I am thinking of no longer live with our DHs.

    I am happy again. Starting over. Hang in there Lilly. Life is good.

    Love, S-

    ReplyDelete
  6. S,

    Yes, DW did unite us . . . and definitely helped us maintain our sanity! Interesting but sad that several of us are now no longer with our husbands. Maybe that is why it was initially so difficult to find info on our husband's crazy behavior. I'm betting that many leave more quickly than we chose to.

    Wishing you all good things, S.

    Happy new beginnings,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete